These Air Fryer Chicken Skewers came out so juicy and are a perfect quick weeknight meal! They’re delicately marinated in a blend of delicious spices and then generously brushed with a garlic herb butter that is incredible! The best part? They’re quick and easy done in less than an hour!
Watch the Air Fryer Chicken Skewers Video Below!
Ingredients for Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
First things first, here is what you’ll need for the BEST Air Fryer Chicken Skewers:
- Chicken Marinade
- Garlic Herb Butter
- freshly chopped parsley
What spices should you use for the chicken?
You can use whatever spices you like! For this marinade, this was the spice combination that I like best – it resulted in a smokey, garlic flavor with a bit of spice!
- Onion Powder: A dehydrated onion product that imparts a sweet and savory onion flavor, commonly used in dry rubs, soups, and roasted vegetables.
- Garlic Powder: Made from dried garlic cloves, it offers a strong and pungent garlic flavor, widely used in pasta sauces, marinades, and seasoning blends.
- Turmeric: A vibrant yellow spice known for its earthy, slightly bitter taste and peppery aroma, often found in curry dishes, rice, and soups.
- Paprika: Available in various types (sweet, smoked, hot), it adds color, flavor, and mild to moderate heat to dishes, commonly used in European and Mediterranean cuisines.
- Cayenne Pepper: A fiery spice made from dried and ground cayenne peppers, it provides intense heat and is used sparingly in chili, sauces, and spicy dishes.
Where did the skewer cooking technique come from?
The history of skewering food traces back thousands of years, reflecting the ingenuity of humanity in cooking. Originating in ancient Middle Eastern civilizations, the practice of impaling meat and vegetables on skewers and grilling them over open flames become popular, leaving its flavorful mark on diverse cultures.
Skewering food has transcended borders to evolving with culinary traditions and technological advances. Over time, it has not only served as a practical method of cooking but also as a means to infuse flavors, creating a delectable history that continues to bring people together around shared meals.
Can I substitute the protein?
You could easily substitute the chicken for beef, lamb, or pork! I would suggest using a protein that has a good amount of fat (15-20%) to ensure the skewers turn out nice and juicy!
Tips for the BEST Air Fryer Chicken Skewers:
- Choose Boneless, Skinless Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for a lean and tender result. Cut them into uniform-sized pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Marinate for Flavor: Marinate the chicken for at least 15-20 minutes, or ideally, a few hours to infuse it with flavor.
- Soak Wooden Skewers: I did not experience my skewers burning, but if you do and you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before threading the chicken to prevent them from burning in the air fryer.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: If needed, preheat your air fryer for about 5 minutes at the recommended temperature for your recipe. Preheating ensures that the chicken will start cooking immediately and helps with even cooking.
- Thread Chicken Evenly: Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto skewers evenly, leaving a little space between each piece to allow for proper air circulation.
- Lightly Oil the Skewers: Lightly brush the chicken skewers with oil or cooking spray to promote browning and prevent sticking to the air fryer basket.
- Arrange in a Single Layer: Place the chicken skewers in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Overcrowding can hinder airflow and result in uneven cooking.
- Flip and Rotate: If necessary, flip the chicken skewers halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning on all sides. If your air fryer has a rotating basket, take advantage of it for even cooking.
Did you enjoy this Air Fryer Chicken Skewers recipe? Check out some of the most popular recipes on the blog! Please consider leaving a review and letting me know your thoughts about the recipe. It really helps out the blog!
Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
Garlic Herb Butter
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp honey
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- Cut chicken thigh into 2 inch pieces and place in a small bowl
- In a separate small bowl, mix together garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and black pepper. Once mixed, add to the chicken pieces along with a tablespoon of avocado oil. Mix thoroughly until combined and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Make butter in pot over medium heat. Add minced garlic and stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add honey and freshly chopped parsley and stir to combine. Turn off the heat.
- Skewer the chicken pieces tightly onto bamboo skewers. Line the basket with parchment paper and lay the chicken skewers on the parchment paper. Air fry at 400F for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken skewers and air fry at 400F for another 6-8 minutes until golden brown and cooked through (165F internal temp).
- Top with parsley and brush with the garlic herb butter and enjoy!