These Chili Oil Smashed Potatoes are so crispy and a perfect side for the holidays or any weeknight meal! The chili oil adds such an amazing flavor and also helps get the potatoes extra crispy in the oven with a simple technique. Try them instead of your regular roasted potatoes!
Watch the Chili Oil Smashed Potatoes Video Below!
Ingredients for Chili Oil Smashed Potatoes
First things first, here is what you’ll need for the BEST Chili Oil Smashed Potatoes:
- 1 ½ lb Yellow mini baby potatoes
- 1/2 cup chili oil
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt pepper
- Scallions for garnish
What spices are best for these potatoes?
You can use whatever spices you like! For this marinade, this was the spice combination that I like best – it resulted in a smokey, garlic flavor with a bit of spice!
- White Pepper: White pepper is a milder, pale version of black pepper, often used in light-colored dishes to avoid dark specks.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder is a convenient, dehydrated form of garlic with a pungent flavor used in various savory dishes.
- Five Spice Powder: Five spice powder is a Chinese blend of star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Sichuan peppercorns, and fennel seeds, offering a unique, sweet, and spicy flavor for meats and vegetables in Chinese cuisine.
- Chili Oil: The chili oil is the star of the show here. Typically they are infused with aromatic spices and Sichuan chiles to give a mouth numbing taste that is so delicious! You can find my homemade Sichuan Chili Oil Recipe here!
What type of potatoes should I use?
For this recipe, I would recommend using baby or mini yellow potatoes. These potatoes are smaller and about 2-3 inches in diameter. Sometimes they are called creamer potatoes. They take only a few minutes to boil, and when they are smashed, they are a perfect size that allows for crisping up around the edges and center of the potato!
Did you enjoy this Chili Oil Smashed Potatoes recipe? Check out some of the most popular recipes on the blog! Please consider leaving a review and letting me know your thoughts about the recipe. It really helps out the blog!
Chili Oil Smashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Rinse potatoes of any excess dirt then fill in a large pot with cold water so that the potatoes will be fully submerged. Bring the water to boil over high heat then add 1/4 cup kosher salt to the water and add the potatoes. Boil for 12-14 minutes or until fork tender. Drain the potatoes and put them back into the empty pot for 1 minute to evaporate any excess moisture from the potatoes.
- On a nonstick baking sheet, drizzle half of the chili oil evenly across the sheet. Spread the oil around the baking sheet so that it is covered entirely. Add the potatoes to the baking sheet and roll them around in the oil so they are coated, then evenly spread them out on the baking sheet.
- Use a flat-bottomed object like a glass cup to smash the potatoes to a ½ inch thickness.
- Drizzle or brush the remaining chili oil onto the tops of the smashed potatoes.
- Mix the salt, white pepper, garlic powder, and five spice powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle the seasoning mix evenly over the potatoes.
- Roast the potatoes at 450F for 30-45 minutes until golden brown and crispy.