Crab Rangoon Dip
Oct 20, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Crab Rangoon Dip is a variation of the ever popular crispy Crab Rangoon appetizer, but turned into dip form! It’s a perfect appetizer that goes so well with bubbly melted cheese and freshly fried homemade wonton chips.
Try this for your next potluck, party, or game day celebration and you won’t be disappointed!
Watch the Crab Rangoon Dip Recipe Video Below!
Ingredients for Crab Rangoon Dip
I love this Crab Rangoon Dip recipe because only a few ingredients to make the best dip for your next party, game day or appetizer spread! Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 12 oz lump crab meat
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup Japanese mayonnaise (I used Kewpie)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1/2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce low sodium
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper to taste
- 1 package Wonton Wrappers I used the brand Dynasty
- Neutral Oil for Frying
Japanese mayo is richer than regular mayonnaise due to only using egg yolks vs the whole egg as in American mayo. I used the brand Kewpie here, but feel free to substitute regular mayonnaise here if that’s what you have!
I prefer to use a cheddar cheese blend for this recipe which includes white and yellow cheddar, but feel free to use what you have!
Bring your cream cheese to room temperature before mixing your ingredients! This will allow for a creamier mixture.
Crab Rangoon Dip: Recipe Instructions
Preparing the Dip
In a large mixing bowl, add room temperature cream cheese, Japanese mayonnaise, and sour cream until smooth.
Fold in crab meat, 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, scallions, soy sauce, sriracha, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Be gentle during this step not over overmix the crab meat – I prefer leaving some nice chunks of crab in the dip by the end.
Get Ready to Bake
Once the dip is mixed together, transfer it to an oven safe dish and spread it evenly with a spatula.
From here, add the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and spread it evenly on top of the crab dip. Now it is time to bake it until golden brown and bubbly!
Bake until Golden Brown
Bake the crab dip in a preheated 425F oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly and the dip is fully heated through. Be careful because it will be extremely hot!
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH THIS DIP?
This dip is so delicious, I think it goes with almost anything! I have a quick homemade Wonton Chip recipe below, but in case you need other ideas, I would serve this with any of the following:
- Tortilla chips or corn chips
- Toasted baguette slices
- Carrot sticks
- Cucumber spears or sliced cucumbers
- Sliced radishes
- Sugar snap peas
Serve this Crab Rangoon Dip with toasted crostini, fresh vegetable sticks, chips, and enjoy!
Fry the Wonton Chips
The first step is to cut the wonton wrappers in half to form two rectangles. I find that frying them in this shape is easier to scoop the dip once fried. You could even fry two stuck together to further reinforce them to make a thicker chip if you desire!
Fry the wonton chips in 375F neutral oil for 15-30 seconds until they are golden brown. Remember that they will darken as they sit and drain, so it is safer to remove them earlier to account for this.
Once the wonton chips are fried, drain them on a paper towel for a few minutes or until cooled.
Serve these with your freshly baked crab rangoon dip and enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, check out some of the most popular appetizer recipes on the blog! Please consider giving a rating and commenting down below what you thought of the recipe! It really helps out the blog!
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Korean Fried Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Chicken Karaage
- Air Fryer Chicken Karaage
Crab Rangoon Dip
- 1 package Wonton Wrappers, I used the brand Dynasty
- Neutral Oil for Frying
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add room temperature cream cheese, japanese mayonnaise, and sour cream until smooth. Fold in crab meat, 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, scallions, soy sauce, sriracha, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place crab mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of the cheese
- Bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
- Meanwhile, cut wonton wrappers in half into rectangles. In a saute pan or heavy bottomed pot, heat neutral oil to 375F and fry for 15-30 seconds until golden brown. Drain on a kitchen towel.
- Garnish the Crab Rangoon Dip with chopped scallions and serve with the crispy wontons!