This Creamy Mushroom Udon is a wonderful weeknight meal that is so easy to bring together! The bouncy, chewy udon noodles are paired with a creamy, umami rich mushroom sauce with loads of fresh mushrooms. This recipe comes together in about 20 minutes, and you’ll be making it again and again!
Watch the Creamy Mushroom Udon Recipe Video Below!
Ingredients for Creamy Mushroom Udon
This Creamy Mushroom Udon recipe is a so delicious! The mushrooms add a ton of umami to the creamy sauce and perfectly compliment the bouncy, chewy udon noodles. Here is what you’ll need for the recipe:
- 2 packs frozen udon noodles 500g
- 4 tbsp butter
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 cups mushrooms 200g – I used a mix seafood and shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- green onion
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
What type of Mushrooms should I use?
Understand the Types: Go for a variety of mushrooms like seafood, shiitake, cremini, or oyster mushrooms. They add a deep depth of flavor.
Tips for Creamy Mushroom Udon:
- Udon Noodles: Use fresh or frozen udon noodles. Fresh udon noodles tend to have a better texture, but I actually like frozen udon noodles for this recipe because they keep for longer. Simply throw them in a bowl with hot water and loosen until they’re separated – they’ll be ready for pasta dishes or stir fries in no time!
- Mushrooms: Go for a variety of mushrooms like seasfood, shiitake, cremini, or oyster mushrooms. Use whatever you have on hand!
- Cream: If you don’t want to use heavy cream, you can substitute with whole milk or even half and half.
- Aromatics: Garlic adds a nice depth of flavor. Sauté them until they’re fragrant.
- Broth: Chicken, vegetable or mushroom broth will enhance the mushroom flavor. If you don’t have broth, water works too, but it won’t be as flavorful.
If you liked this Creamy Mushroom Udon recipe, check out some of the most popular recipes on the blog! Please consider leaving a review and letting me know your thoughts about the recipe. It really helps out the blog!
You can use fresh or frozen udon for this recipe. There is no need to cook the udon prior to adding it to the dish because the noodles will cook in the sauce!
Creamy Mushroom Udon
- Add udon noodles to a bowl and cover with hot water. Loosen with your hands until the noodles are separated. Drain the noodles and set them aside.
- In a bowl, add oyster sauce, soy sauce, white pepper, and chicken stock and mix well to combine.
- In a nonstick pan over medium high heat, melt butter and sauté garlic and mushrooms for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the premixed sauce and cook for another minute over medium high heat to incorporate. Season with a pinch of kosher salt to taste.
- Add heavy cream and stir to combine to make the sauce and bring to a rapid simmer, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add udon noodles and mix over high heat until the sauce has thickened and the udon noodles are al dente. Garnish with scallions and enjoy!