Egg Fried Rice is my GO-TO recipe when I don’t know what to eat and I need to clean out the fridge! I always have the ingredients needed to make this for a quick & easy meal!
Watch the Egg Fried Rice Recipe Video Below!
Key Ingredient Tips for Egg Fried Rice
You can use either fresh or frozen! The cooking time is similar for both, since the vegetables are so small, they’ll still cook quickly frozen. I used frozen because that’s what I had on hand!
Do not use freshly steamed rice! The rice should be at least one day old to avoid having too much moisture; too much moisture in the rice will make your fried rice soggy and mushy.
I chose not to add protein but if you want, you can always add it! Popular choices are chicken, shrimp, sausage, or spam!
As always, this is optional 🙂
I get asked all the time if you can sub black pepper for white pepper – and my answer is, it depends BUT you need to watch the ratio. White pepper has a milder flavor profile than black pepper, so it’s a 1-1 substitute. I would start with less black pepper and add as you go. (But really, you should have white pepper in your pantry! It’s a staple in mine!)
My favorite neutral oil is avocado oil, but you can also use canola or vegetable oil! I don’t use olive oil when cooking Korean food for two reasons: 1. It has a low burning point and 2. I find that the flavor profile does not usually go with the dish.
Top Recipe Tips for Egg Fried Rice
CUT YOUR VEGETABLES!
I always recommend cutting your vegetables into similar sized pieces so they cook evenly – this little step makes a huge difference! In this recipe, I used frozen vegetables that were already the same size but if you are using fresh, make sure they are cut similar in size.
CRUMBLE YOUR OLD RICE
I like to crumble my rice (I’ve found that dried out rice gets clumpy) – this helps each rice grain get cooked and coated in all of the delicious flavors!
Egg Fried Rice
- 1.5 cups white jasmine rice at least one day old (or dried out in the refrigerator)
- 3 eggs
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 4 scallions thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables or raw
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp msg
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp neutral oil I used avocado oil
- Cook 1 1/2 cups white jasmine rice and lay on a sheet tray to dry out in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- Chop garlic, ginger, and scallions and prepare 1 cup frozen vegetables and set aside. Separate your scallion white from the scallion greens. Scramble 3 eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Over high heat, add 2 tbsp of avocado oil to your pan and fry your scallion whites, garlic and ginger for 15 seconds then add your frozen veggies and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Move veggies to the side of your pan and add another 1/2 tbsp of oil, then add your eggs and scramble until about 80% cooked.
- Add your rice and mix for 1-2 minutes. Then add your soy sauce and seasonings and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes and add your scallion greens. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference. Mix and enjoy!