I used to always order Salt & Pepper Shrimp if I saw it on the menu… that is, until I learned how to make them at home! This recipe is super easy and well suited for home cooks of any level! And best part is, it’s JUST AS DELICIOUS as eating them at a restaurant!
Yes, you can eat the shrimp shells! The shrimp shells are flash fried and covered in garlic, fresh peppers, and spicy salt that make them SO delicious. However, if you prefer to remove the shells, that is OK – just do so before cooking them!
My favorite neutral oil is avocado oil, but you can also use canola or vegetable oil! I don’t use olive oil when cooking Chinese food for two reasons: 1. It has a low burning point and 2. I find that the flavor profile does not usually go with the dish.
THAI CHILI PEPPERS
If you are sensitive to heat, I would recommend you decrease the amount of Thai chili peppers or remove them altogether and sub with red & green bell peppers instead.
As always, this is optional 🙂
You can make your own fried garlic OR you can buy these from the store! I got mine from 99 Ranch.
Do not let your frying oil drop below 350F when frying! I highly recommend you use a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature. If you see it dropping below 350F, fry your shrimp in batches. Frying at a low temperature will result in too much moisture (AKA SOGGY!)
Salt & Pepper Shrimp
- 1/2 lb shrimp U16-20
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp msg
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- 2 freshno chilis sliced
- 1 thai chili pepper sliced, optional
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fried garlic minced
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups neutral oil I used avocado oil
- Buy shell on & deveined shrimp, otherwise rinse and clean shell your shrimp, then cut off claws with kitchen shears. Cut through the shell along the top of the shrimp and devein.
- Chop garlic and fresh peppers and place in a small bowl. In another small bowl, mix white pepper, salt and msg to make your spicy salt.
- Dredge shrimp in cornstarch and heat 2 cups of avocado oil to 375F.
- Fry shrimp in batches for 2 minutes until golden brown and shell is crisp. Set on a paper towel to drain and immediately season with a few pinches of spicy salt.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil over high heat, then fry garlic and peppers for 1 minute. Add back your shrimp and the remaining spicy salt and stir fry for another minute. Add fried garlic for garnish and enjoy!