Spicy Honey Garlic Tofu is the perfect easy dish for any meal! The crispy tofu is tossed in a sweet and spicy garlic honey glaze and absolutely delicious with a bowl of freshly steamed rice!
Watch the Spicy Honey Garlic Tofu Recipe Video Below!
This Spicy Honey Garlic Tofu comes out delicious every time! The tofu is super crispy and delicious with sweet and spicy honey garlic glaze. They’re absolutely incredible!
Ingredients for Spicy Honey Garlic Tofu
You only need a few ingredients to make this delicious crispy Spicy Honey Garlic Tofu. Here is what you’ll need to make it!
- 16 oz firm or extra firm tofu drained and cut into 1” cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper 1g
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Neutral oil
- Spicy Honey Garlic Glaze
Which type of tofu should you use?
There are various types of tofu, each with different textures and suitable for specific types of dishes. Here are the most common types of tofu and the dishes they are typically used in:
- Soft Tofu:
- Soft tofu has a delicate and silky texture.
- Commonly used in dishes like mapo tofu, tofu soup, and silken tofu desserts.
- It’s excellent for recipes where a smooth and creamy texture is desired.
- Firm Tofu:
- Firm tofu has a more solid texture compared to soft tofu.
- Suitable for stir-fries, curries, and tofu scrambles.
- It holds its shape well and can be cubed, sliced, or crumbled in various savory dishes.
- Extra Firm Tofu:
- Extra firm tofu has the densest texture among the three.
- Ideal for grilling, pan-frying, or baking, as it maintains its shape and does not easily crumble.
- Often used in dishes like stir-fry, kebabs, and tofu sandwiches or burgers.
For this recipe, I recommend extra firm tofu. This type of tofu will help hold up its shape when pan frying!
Top Tips for Making the Best Tofu
Here are a few of my top tips for making sure your bok choy stir fry comes out delicious every time!
- Pat the Tofu Once Cubed: Using a paper towel or kitchen towel, drain and pat the tofu dry as soon as it’s out of the package, and again once the tofu is cut into 1 inch cubes. This will ensure the tofu will stay crispy during the cooking process!
- Choose the Right Tofu: Opt for extra firm tofu for this dish. It holds its shape better and has a satisfying texture when cooked. Cut it into bite-sized cubes for even cooking.
- Cornstarch Coating: Before frying, toss the marinated tofu cubes in cornstarch. This creates a crispy outer layer when cooked. Shake off any excess cornstarch to avoid a thick, pasty coating.
- Control Heat Level: Adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to control the spiciness according to your preference. If you want it milder, use less; for a spicier kick, add more. Be cautious, as a little goes a long way.
If you liked this Spicy Honey Garlic Tofu recipe, check out some of my other popular meat and side dish recipes!
- Beef Bulgogi
- Spicy Pork Bulgogi
- Korean Cucumber Salad
- Korean Bean Sprout Side Dish
- Korean Spinach Salad
Spicy Honey Garlic Tofu
Spicy Honey Garlic Glaze
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil 15ml
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons honey 30ml
- 1 tablespoon gochujang 15ml
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar 26g
- 3 tablespoons of Soy Sauce low sodium (45ml)
- ¼ cup hot water
- Pat the tofu cubes dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Add them to a bowl and season with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Add cornstarch and toss the tofu cubes until evenly coated.
- In a wok or pan, add ½ cup of neutral oil over medium high heat. Add the tofu in a single layer and fry for 2-3 minutes, flipping to crisp up the tofu on all sides. Repeat with the rest of the tofu and remove to a wire rack to drain.
- In a pan, add 1 tablespoon of neutral oil over medium high heat. Sauté garlic for 30 seconds then add honey, gochujang, brown sugar, soy sauce, and hot water. Mix to combine and heat until the mixture simmers and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add the tofu cubes, mix and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!