This chili garlic bok choy is the perfect side dish for any meal! The bok choy is nicely stir fried with a hint of kick from the chili oil. It’s a perfect side dish ready in 10 minutes!
Watch the Chili Garlic Bok Choy Recipe Video Below!
This chili garlic bok choy come out delicious every time! The bok choy is crisp and delicious with a slight kick from the chili oil. They’re absolutely incredible!
Ingredients for Chili Garlic Bok Choy
You only need a few ingredients to make this delicious bok choy stir fry. Here is what you’ll need to make it!
- 1.5 lb baby bok choy
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp msg
- 2 tbsp chili oil
What is Bok Choy?
Bok choy, also known as Chinese cabbage or pak choi, is a leafy green vegetable that is commonly used in Asian cuisine. Here are its key characteristics:
- Appearance: Bok choy has thick, crisp stalks and dark green leaves. The leaves are similar in shape to spinach or lettuce, and they grow in a cluster, forming a bunch with white stems.
- Taste: Bok choy has a mild, slightly peppery flavor. The leaves are tender and have a subtle sweetness, while the white stalks are crunchy and slightly earthy.
- Varieties: There are two main varieties of bok choy: baby bok choy and standard bok choy. Baby bok choy is smaller and more tender, while standard bok choy is larger and has thicker stalks.
- Nutritional Benefits: Bok choy is a nutritious vegetable. It is low in calories but rich in vitamins and minerals, particularly vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate. It also contains fiber and various antioxidants.
- Cooking: Bok choy is versatile and can be cooked in various ways. It can be stir-fried, sautéed, steamed, or added to soups and stews. The leaves cook faster than the stalks, so it’s common to separate them and add them at different times in cooking.
- Health Benefits: Bok choy is often considered a healthy choice because of its low calorie content and nutrient density. It is associated with various health benefits, including supporting bone health, improving digestion, and promoting healthy skin.
- Culinary Uses: Bok choy is a staple in many Asian dishes, such as stir-fries, hot pots, and noodle soups. It pairs well with various flavors and ingredients, including garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
Cooking Chili Garlic Bok Choy: Recipe Instructions
Prior to cooking, an important tip for a quick and easy stir fry like this is to have your ingredients prepped and accessible within arms reach! The cooking process is fast so timing of ingredients is key.
Sauté the garlic
Heat 3 tbsp of neutral oil in a pan over high heat. Add garlic and saute for 15 seconds. Then immediately add in your bok choy and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly wilted and browned.
Cook out the water and season the bok choy
This next step is crucial: cook the water out of the bok choy! You likely see a pool of water at the bottom of the pan when the bok choy hits the heat. It’s important to cook out all the water prior to continuing so that you don’t end up with watery bok choy.
Continue cooking so that the water is cooked out and the bok choy is looking slightly wilted. Next, season the bok choy with salt, sugar, and msg. Finally, add a couple tablespoons of chili oil (click here for my homemade version)
Top Tips for Making the Best Bok Choy
Here are a few of my top tips for making sure your bok choy stir fry comes out delicious every time!
- Choose Fresh Bok Choy: Select bok choy that looks fresh and vibrant. The leaves should be crisp and free from wilting, and the stalks should be firm.
- Prep Bok Choy Properly: Wash the bok choy thoroughly under cold running water to remove any dirt or grit. Trim the tough ends of the stalks, and separate the leaves from the stalks for even cooking.
- Cut Evenly: Cut the bok choy into uniform-sized pieces to ensure even cooking. You can slice the stalks diagonally and chop the leaves into smaller pieces.
- Use High Heat: Heat your wok or a large skillet over high heat. Stir-frying requires high heat to cook quickly and retain the crispness of the vegetables.
If you liked this Chili Garlic Bok Choy recipe, check out some of my other popular meat and side dish recipes!
- Beef Bulgogi
- Spicy Pork Bulgogi
- Korean Cucumber Salad
- Korean Bean Sprout Side Dish
- Korean Spinach Salad
Chili Garlic Bok Choy
- Wash the baby bok choy and peel off outer leaves until stem and the closest leaves remain. Slice the stems in half with a knife and then drain excess moisture from bok choy. Set the vegetables aside in a large bowl.
- Chop 6 cloves of garlic and set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp of neutral oil in a pan over high heat. Add garlic and saute for 15 seconds. Then immediately add in your bok choy and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly wilted and browned.
- Season with kosher salt, sugar, and msg and cook for another minute
- Add chili oil and toss until combined. Enjoy!