Garlic Bok Choy
October 7, 2021
1M+ Views Chinese Recipes Sides Vegetables Vegetarian Wok
This is one of the easiest and most delicious ways to make Garlic Bok Choy at home! Bok choy is one of my favorite vegetables and the beauty of this dish is that it requires only a few ingredients.
BOK CHOY vs. BABY BOK CHOY
In my experience, bok choy and baby bok choy are essentially the same – baby bok choy is regarded as being slightly sweeter but I find that they are interchangeable in dishes. I personally used baby bok choy, as that was what was available at the store but feel free to use either!
My favorite neutral oil is avocado oil, but you can also use canola or vegetable oil! I don’t use olive oil when cooking Chinese food for two reasons: 1. It has a low burning point and 2. I find that the flavor profile does not usually go with the dish.
As always, this is optional 🙂
Since you’ll be saute-ing the garlic in the oil, I recommend a rough chop vs. a fine mince. This will help prevent the garlic from burning. However, if you prefer a finer mince, you can do that instead – just keep an eye on the garlic so it doesn’t burn!
Garlic Bok Choy
- 1 lb baby bok choy
- 10 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp neutral oil I used avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp msg optional
- Wash the baby bok choy and peel off outer leaves until stem and the closest leaves remain. Slice the stems in half with a knife and then drain excess moisture from bok choy. Set the vegetables aside in a large bowl.
- Chop 10 cloves of garlic and set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp of neutral oil in a pan over high heat. Add garlic and saute for 15 seconds. Then immediately add in your bok choy and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly wilted and browned.
- Season with kosher salt, sugar, and msg and cook for another minute. Enjoy!
This was my first time eating bok choy, I would always see it at the grocery store and I was curious as to what it would taste like and I absolutely love it. It’s as if spinach and cabbage had a baby. This recipe has the right amount of salt, sugar and garlic. It’s the perfect side dish to any meal.